Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wes Lands West



Wes Welker signed a 2 year deal with Denver Broncos for $12 million. Surely the Patriots could afford to pay Welker 6 $million a year, right? Think again. The New England Patriots let Welker test free agency, and Wes went West. 

The mission continues for the Broncos and GM, John Elway. The Mission: Bring a Super Bowl to Denver. You may ask, why is this guy “Wes Welker” such a great move for the Broncos?  In the past six seasons, five of those seasons Welker recorded over 100+ catches and 1000+ receiving yards. Welker would have reached those numbers in all six seasons if it were not for tearing his ACL in 2010.  Not to mention Welker was Tom Brady’s favorite target.  

Tom Brady has won three Super Bowls out of five appearances.  If you’re Tom Brady’s favorite target, that is saying a lot…

This move means the Broncos mean business, and mean business now!  The coaching staff knows QB Peyton Manning is at the tail end of his career and they must put the pieces around him ASAP, so the puzzle can be solved. Denver has spiked their chances up of winning a Super Bowl with the add of veteran receiver, Welker. The last time they won a Super Bowl, was back in 98' when the Broncos current GM, John Elway was the QB.

Manning will be throwing the ball more and more with Mr. Welker in the offense.  Manning doesn't have a rocket by any means but he exceptionally smart and precise with his throws. If you combine Manning’s ability with Welker’s great route running and gift to get out in the open field with his speed, I can’t help to picture success for the Broncos in 2013.  Remember…last season was Manning’s first season back in over a year.  Expect nothing but great for Wes Welker and the Broncos.

Look for Denver to use less two tight end sets and more three wide receiver sets.  Denver now has arguably the best receiver trio in the NFL.  Before the Welker pick up, I thought drafting a running back or finding one via free agency was a must.  Don’t be shocked if Denver sticks with Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno in the running game.  It’s obvious Denver will be a pass happy team in 2013.  Adding a big name running back isn't that important.

Is it football season yet??

Denver made some other free agency moves throughout the first two days of free agency.  Some notables; David Bruton (SS),  Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB),  Louis Vasquez (RG), Stewart Bradley (LB).




10 comments:

  1. As I said on Twitter, the Broncos and John Elway are likely the victors of a very crowded and talented 2013 FA class. It's Super Bowl or bust from here on out.

    I always look forward to hearing opinions from other fans and your blog provides exactly that. Your title (of your blog and your post) is hilarious and you did a nice job of structuring the content so it doesn't alienate the average reader.

    Keep it up, Lex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to lie, I'm not too fond of football. Watching it in person is one thing and I love the adrenaline rush but it wouldn't be in my top ten channels to watch. You have a great flow in your writing and for a football fan who understands what you're talking about I'm sure they'd agree that you provide great information and can tell that it's something you're very passionate about. One think to look over might be your AP style, there were a few errors but other than that, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also going to be honest and say that I am not a football fan, the closest thing I have is being a Dan Marino fan because of Ace Ventura. That being said, I understood what your post was about but had no idea who some of the people were, maybe add some more visuals for the non-football fans to put a name with a face. Your writing was good, it was easy to read and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the post Elex. You gave great information, and it flowed well. I agree with Steff and think that maybe you could either put some more visuals to explain who people are for those who aren't into football. Also, I think it would be intersting to look at who the Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders acquired and/or lost through free agency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not very familiar with the field of football, but I can see in your writing how passionate you are about it.
    The line that says, "is it football season yet?" Shows how excited you are about the subject because you want to see how this move turns out.
    Again, I'm not a football-person, but I understood (for the most part) what was going on. However, be sure to watch your AP style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, I'm joining the bandwagon here...I'm not a fan of football, but that is not to say that I disliked the post.
    I can tell that you really like what you are talking about and I like how much information that was provided for those who are into football. More visuals would be great, your writing style is easily read and I am sure the sports fans out there would agree that you are doing a good job. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the post E! Your posts are very easy to read and flow nicley. You know i can relate to what you are saying because im a football junky myself. I can see how non football fans would maybe have a more difficult times reading it but keep it ccoming bro! good stuff and congrats on the signing! big weapon for #18

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I think a little AP style tweaking is all you really need. This is a really good summary of what I expected to be a fairly complicated topic. I just noticed the survey below. It's placement is totally up to you, but would more people see it, if it were above the comment section? Again, really good job, E!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live in Colorado, and the can tell you first hand that the Broncos hold a place in every native's heart. That being said, I enjoyed the post but (and this is going to get repetitive) not being a huge football fan myself, I find myself a little confused during points in your post. I stand by what I said in class during the beginning of this ongoing project however; sports blogs are unique in that they need to use special terminology to really communicate what happened and that defining every little thing would be cumbersome. Besides that, a little AP errors here and there, but overall an enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of this I could connect with and some of it I couldn't I could tell that the catches and the yards were a lot, but without knowing a sort of average, I had no idea how good that was. Still, I felt where you talked about Brady was really helpful to bring out why Welker is such a good acquisition. You definitely know a lot about the AFC west and it shows in your writing. Just try and clear up some of the more confusing things for non-sports fans and you'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete